Monday, May 13, 2013

The Pharisee and the Publican


Recently I re-read the parable found in Luke 18:10-14 commonly known as the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican. It is far and away my favorite parable out of the many found in the New Testament. It makes me think that perhaps I have a chance after all. Here it is:

Luke 18:10-14

 10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
  
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
  
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
  
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
  
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

No comments:

Post a Comment